HeartKindling has received an award. Well, not so much an award as a peer recommendation. Liebster award nomination is essentially a friendly pat on the back by another blogger. This basically means that someone was asked to name 11 small blogs and came up with HeartKindling among them. Thank you, Donielle, for thinking of me. Do go and check Donielle’s blog InTheLupus for stories from her life with this tricky autoimmune disease.
Since there is no committee or a set criteria other than the chain-letter-like expression of love towards other bloggers, the Liebster rules seem to be rather fluid (and I will be taking use of that fact a little bit myself). The current set that I have been given:
- Link back to the blog that has nominated you.
- Answer their 11 questions.
- Share 11 facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 blogs that have under 200 followers.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
- Visit the nominated bloggers and let them know that they receive the award.
This means that now I have the right to nominate 11 small blogs that I find special and worth reading. And this is where I ran into a bit of a problem. But… more on that later. I will start with eleven random facts about myself.
- I bite my fingernails. Yep, in my thirties and still at it…
- I started reading at the age of three and a half. My parents say they didn’t set out to teach me, I just showed interest in letters and they obliged explaining (I would say not the least because our place was filled with books). Never lost that interest since.
- Dandelions are one of my most favourite flowers. I love the smell, the shape, the bold yellow colour. I always struggle when my head tells me to weed them out in the garden.
- After high school, I seriously considered studying journalism, but ended up majoring in languages at an international school.
- I would love to learn French some day. I studied it in high school for 2 years (as a fourth language), but did not develop a passion for it until I visited France.
- Three ‘foods’ that I really really would not want to give up: bread, green tea, and oranges.
- I am the only one in my family who is short-sighted and wearing glasses. Hubby thinks this is due to reading under a duvet in my younger years, but I am not convinced it could be that detrimental…
- I completed the ‘couch to 5 km’ program last year and it has surprisingly made me a running convert – I used to hate it, but now see running as a treat for myself.
- I LOVE pretty stationery. No matter how many notebooks I already have, it is still hard not to buy another one that looks and feels lovely.
- I had my first job – selling newspapers over the summer holidays – when I was 13. I was a little embarrassed then, but am proud of it now. Funny how perspectives can change.
- I have fantasies of living in a remote rural cottage with vegetable garden, chickens, and country walks on my doorstep. I know I am not cut out for this kind of lifestyle full-time, but hey, fantasies aren’t meant to be realistic, are they?..
Now, for the eleven nominations. There are a few blogs that I check regularly and would gladly recommend here. The problem is, however, that there is much more than 200 other people enjoying them. The whole point of the Liebster Award is to showcase smaller, less visible blogs. Turns out I do not know that many of them myself. Here is a few that I can come up with at the moment:
TINY HOUSE TRAVELERS follows the journey of a couple who have decided to forgo societal expectations and build themselves a very small house in order to live bigger lives.
(In the time it took me to write this post, this blog has climbed over the 200 followers threshhold, but I think it is still very worth mentioning and nominating.)
TRINA’S NORTH GERMANY is casting a curious eye on the local world at her doorstep rather than faraway pastures green.
FIVE BY 3 is a well written blog that deals with the topics of writing and creativity.
And this here is the aforementioned chance for YOUR self-promotion. I would love to nominate and recommend eight more blogs. So if yours is a blog with less than 200 followers (or if you would like to draw my attention to somebody else’s blog), please drop a note in the comments giving the name of the blog and briefly telling me what it is about. I can’t promise an instant nomination, but I do promise to check it out. In fact, I am hopefully looking forward to discovering some great blogs that otherwise went under my radar.
When I finally have a list of 8 more blogs to shower with Liebster love, I will also try to answer the 11 questions that Doniele from InTheLupus has set out. For now, I feel like reading the 11 random facts above is plenty information about me in one sitting. As for my own nominees, I have only the following 5 questions:
- Why did you start your blog and why do you keep at it? What are the reasons and have they changed at all with time?
- If you were given a day for yourself – no work commitments, family obligations, no guilt for not doing something useful – how would you spend it?
- What is your favorite colour? What, if anything, does it say about you?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
- What is your vision for your blog? What would you like it to ultimately become/achieve?
I am looking forward to all the suggestions and new nominations!